Monday, April 14, 2008

The Baby Room

This past weekend, we finally decided to tidy up the mess of boxes in PK's room. When we moved into our house, we knew that our spare bedroom would be used for our potential kid (PK :D), so we left it empty until just after my first trimester. That was when we slowly started filling the room with clothes, stuffed animals, and books. In the last few weeks, we've added on a playpen, our beloved Bugaboo Bee stroller, and the car seat, all sitting pretty in their boxes. That is, until yesterday.

It all began on Saturday, when we ventured out to Ikea to look for a mirror and light fixture for our downstairs washroom (which is being re-done as part of our kitchen renovations). Finding the mirror and light fixture was a dud (though we've discovered a lot of tacky crap out there), but we did come out of the store with area rug and a bookcase for PK's room.

We decided to put the bookcase together on Sunday because after spending a couple of hours at Ikea, we were spent. Ikea is always a zoo, especially on weekends, and always sucks the life out of me.

Putting together the bookcase is a one-person job, so I let the hubby take care of that while I worked on the Bugaboo. The only assembly required for the Bugaboo was to pop in the 2 front wheels and that was that. The real tough part was in trying to figure out how to collapse and un-collapse the Bugaboo. It took me a while (and nearly hurling the damned thing out the window), but now I've got it all figured out. PK will be a very mobile city baby. :P

Even though we still don't have our glider and the rest of our furniture in the room (hopefully in the next month or 2), the room is looking more like a baby's room now that the bookcase is up.

A few people have asked me if we're going to go with a themed baby room. The answer is no. Themed rooms don't tickle my fancy. Babies are too young to care either way, so I figure I might as well save Future Me and Future Hubby some time by going with a non-themed white-walled room. Even our furniture was picked under the premise that most of it will stay with PK until she goes off to university. I guess some people dig the themed room and view it as part of being part of the whole experience. Hey, if that tickles their fancy, then so be it. If we were all the same, life would be mighty boring, wouldn't it?

And now, without further ado, here are some pictures of PK's room (a work in progress). More pictures to follow as our furniture comes in. :)


The Hubby hard at work


The Bugaboo Bee!


Pile 'o Stuff


The Finished Product 1


The Finished Product 2

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Looks great! What a beautiful bookcase, and it looks like it can be used both vertically and horizontally - how practical.

I'm with you on the themed room. We painted Jade's first room yellow because I like a little colour on the walls (although it turned out a bit brighter than I expected!) but now that it's a guest room, I don't feel like there's anything too babyish about it. I don't particularly enjoy painting and I didn't want to do it over again just because we've all out-grown it.

That said, I'm considering some kind of mural in Jade's next room (where she'll be moving before baby #2 comes along... we sure seem to move her around a lot, eh?) just because it's tiny and I'd like to add an element of fun.

Jade did somehow end up with a lot of elephants in her room. A neighbour gave her a big plushy elephant, my sister sent her an elephant-shaped bank, and her lamp happned to have an elephant on it, too. So I guess you could have a theme with accessories - they're easy enough to replace when they're outgrown.