Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Birth Plan

At long last, the hubby and I finally sat down this evening to put together a birth plan. Without further ado, here it is! My next challenge will be to present this to my OB on Monday. Wish me luck!

=====================

General Notes:

• Please consult with couple prior to executing any procedures/medical interventions

Laboring Environment:

• Labor at home for as long as possible
• Dim lights, quiet ambiance, and music in birthing room
• Spouse present at all times
• Have the option to labor in a tub or shower


Labor Choices:

• To begin labor naturally
• To be allowed to be up to two weeks past due date
• To wait for up to 24 hours for contractions to begin before discussing medical induction

NOTE: Unless there is a serious health risk involved in any of the above

Induction/Augmentation of Labor:

• Natural induction methods to be attempted before resorting to medical induction

Laboring Positions:

• To labor in the most comfortable position for me

Pain Relief Measures:

• I do not want epidural unless I ask for it
• I will be using Hypnobirthing techniques in lieu of medication for pain relief (i.e. relaxation techniques)


Delivery:

• No episiotomy unless asked for and agreed to by me

After the Birth:

• Cord blood banking
• Skin on skin contact with baby
• No unnecessary separation from baby. If separated from baby, my spouse will accompany
• Delay any standard procedures for as long as possible, to allow for bonding with baby

Caesarean Section:

• In the event that a C-section is needed, my spouse will be present during the procedure at all times
• Baby given to spouse to hold/bond

1 comment:

Fawn said...

That looks great, Indy. :)