Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

I never think much of Mother's Day apart from splurging on my mom. This year, I bought her perfume, a couple of books, chocolates, and even made her a quiche. I like to spoil her because she's been great to me and has always been super-supportive, even though we tend to have our creative differences (and there can be a LOT of those).

This year, being pregnant and all, has taken a slight deviation from the status quo. My mom bought me a Mother's Day card (very sweet of her), and my boss left a box of chocolates on my desk last Friday wishing me a "Happy 1st Mother's Day". It was a really sweet gesture and almost made me tear up - damned pregnancy hormones! Nice gestures aside, is it "right" (for a lack of a better word) for me to celebrate Mother's Day when the little one is still relatively safe and sound (barring any more falls - *knock on wood*) in the womb, away from what will surely be a very fumbly first few weeks (maybe more) of motherhood once she enters the world? I guess it's a bit of a slippery slope.

The hubby was a bit freaked out when he realized that I'd gotten Mother's Day gifts from my mom and my boss, and when my grandmother started asking me over the phone yesterday if he'd gotten me anything. I guess with me pregnant, he thinks I'm a ticking emotional timebomb and that not getting me anything this Mother's Day would put him in the doghouse. Damn, am I really THAT bad in my preggo state??? :(

Anyway, I wasn't mad. PK's not out of the womb yet, so to me, it doesn't count just yet. I wonder how it'll be next year. Will I expect some sort of fanfare around Mother's Day, or will it be "just another Sunday" to me? I like celebrations, but I don't like being the center of attention in that way.

I sometimes have a hard time picturing what it'll be like once PK is born. I know that life will change significantly, but I just can't fathom HOW MUCH it'll change. I know that my life and my actions are very centered around me (and around the hubby too) at the moment. I still have the delusion of being able to hit the climbing gym again soon after PK is born, but I know that realistically, it may be a while longer. All I know is that I want to integrate PK into our lives, rather than run our lives around PK. I've seen it done, so I know that it's possible. I guess it's a wait and see game. I won't figure things out until showtime, so for now, I'll just sit pretty and continue with life as I know it, until life's little curveball is born.

And who knows...next year, the PK blog may even have a gushy Mother's Day entry.

No comments: