Thursday, May 15, 2008

Oh, so close!

Last Saturday, I was at a good friend's wedding, and at our table, the hubby and I met a couple with a 3- or 4-month-old baby boy. I swear they are the nicest people ever, and it was great to share pregnancy stories with them. Their son was a cutie too. Is it me or are all babies looking extra-cute these days?

Anyway, I was talking to the the mom, Nancy, about my OB woes. She started telling me about how great her OB was, how she was located out of one of the downtown hospitals, and how she was most likely taking new patients. Score! So we came out of the wedding with a treasure-trove of information - the name of Nancy's OB, the name of her son's pediatrician, and her contact info. Yay! More moms I can hang out with once PK is born!!!

Anyway, I called her OB first thing on Monday morning, and to my disappointment, found out that she was not taking any new patients for August. Damn, I was so close! Hopefully we have better luck on the pediatrician front. I've also got the name of my sister-in-law's pediatrician, so hopefully one of these 2 will pan out.

In the meantime, today I am scheduled to see my new doctor at the closer hospital. His secretary left a nice lengthy message on our voicemail the other day, confirming the appointment, their location, and the doctor's Web site - how modern! That's a pretty good sign, and I'm hoping that this will be a little less self-serve than my experience with my old OB.

In a nutshell, my visits with my old OB consisted of him hearing PK's heartbeat on the Doppler, him asking us if we had any questions, and the grand finale..."Take your vitamins!" Oh, and my questions were usually answered with, "Call MotherRisk to find out." MotherRisk is # you can call if you have any questions on what you can and can't eat during pregnancy. Aren't doctors supposed to know these things? Sheesh...

Anyway, I digress. So today, visit with new OB. I hear that the hospital he's affiliated with is pretty swanky too, so that makes me feel good. Yay! :) I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Too about the downtown OB, but glad to hear there are silver linings. :) I can't wait to hear about your appointment and see if you like this new doc better. Good luck!