Thursday, May 8, 2008

Week 26

Week 26 has by far been the worst week for allergies. Although the difficulty breathing subsided somewhat this week (it popped up on and off at night), the coughing was incredibly intense! My coughing fits were so bad that people at work thought I was some inconsiderate diseased employee, spreading my germs around the office. I took every opportunity I could to tell them that it was "just allergies" and that I wasn't contagious. Because I would wake up coughing 1-2 times during the night for an hour, sometimes, sleep had become somewhat of a luxury. The only thing that comforts me is the fact that the trees will stop pollinating and my nose will once again be happy.

Although my allergies didn't keep me from attending my aqua-fitness classes, I did opt to work out at home on Yoga day. I figured at a) I was really tired and could use the rest, and b) my coughing fits would probably not be too welcome at a Yoga class. :P Fortunately, I am happy to report that this week, the coughing has subsided significantly! Yay! Unfortunately, I am still sneezing and blowing my nose like crazy. That's okay, because I can at least sleep on a stuffy nose.

In other news, we found out that our baby furniture has arrived. The crib and the dressers had arrived a couple of weeks earlier, but we were still waiting on the glider. Well, the wait is finally over! Now we're expecting a call from the delivery company to arrange a date and time for delivery. It'll be nice to have the room all set up. I will post pictures as soon as the furniture comes in!

I mentioned earlier this week that I got referred to a new OB (somewhat closer to town). As I've said, it's not the perfect location, but at least it's accessible by subway. Beggars can't be choosers!

To continue on the news front, we finally got word that work will be starting on our kitchen. It's scheduled to begin on the last week of May. I sincerely hope that it's finished by late July, and that PK hangs in until the work is done. HA! :P I'm just happy that the work will be starting!

Last Saturday we attended an "Infant/Child Choking and First Aid" course. Like the "Journey into Childbirth" course that we'd taken one week earlier, it was held through Baby and Me Fitness. As I'd said before, we were extremely happy with the Journey into Childbirth course overall. I can't say the same about the first aid course. It was supposed to last for 2 hours, and only lasted 1.5 hours. On top of that, the guy who taught the course was clueless, and showed us outdated VHS (!) videos from the 80s (!) featuring industrial safety and first aid, with next to no focus on infant safety and first aid. The only useful things he taught us were what to do when an infant is choking (conscious choking only), and how to perform infant CPR. The highlight of the class was the fact that it was a mix of expectant parents and parents with babies (<1 year). Both the hubby and I were quite amused by the babies to either side of us. :)

Anyway, everyone was pretty pissed about the outcome of the course, and one girl actually complained to one of the owners of Baby & Me, Trish (who also teaches the Tuesday night aqua fitness class). Needless to say, Trish was pretty pissed by what happened, and is taking action to ensure that everyone who attended is properly compensated for this cluster-flub. Apparently they've been running this workshop for years, and have never had this happen before. From the sounds of it, the guy who came in last Saturday was a substitute (and a bad one, at that). I'm really glad that something is being done about this, because we've been very happy with the services provided by Baby & Me overall. I think that this shows a lot of class and integrity on their part, so kudos to them! And yes, I still definitely 100% recommend this program for anyone who wants to do pre-natal or post-partum fitness in the GTA.

No comments: