Monday, April 28, 2008

Week 25

This has been an eventful week so far. On Saturday, we finally hauled our butts over to Babies R Us to set up our baby registry. I swear we must've spent about 2 hours there. It was fun to walk around and pick out all of the different items, but if the wedding registry is any indication of things to come, I'm sure we'll end up with

a) Tacky, useless items NOT on the registry which we'll have to return later
b) People buying us a lot of the same stuff because they don't look at the quantity of a particular item (e.g. bibs)

Oh well...I guess I'll just have to wait and see. We put a lot of stuff on the registry so that hopefully it gives people lots of options. We don't know that many people, so I am under no delusion whatsoever that all of the items off the registry will be purchased.

Yesterday we attended our "Journey into Childbirth" class. We signed up through the Baby & Me Fitness program. The woman who taught it is actually one of the program's founders and also teaches the Monday yoga class. She's super-nice, very informed, and we really enjoyed the class. The class ran from 10am to 5pm so it was a really early start for us for a Sunday (I know that we're in for earlier starts come August). There were 8 couples in total attending the class, which was great. The small group made for a very comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Topics covered included:

1. Anatomy (I can't believe how squished my intestines will become in a few months!)
2. Childbirth & Labor
3. How life changes after baby arrives
4. Breastfeeding
5. Post-partum depression

Lots of information to take it, especially in 6 hours. I asked lots of questions, but some of the couples there were pretty hard-core and were taking lots of notes. I figure that I probably won't be looking at the notes again anyway, so I didn't see much point in taking notes. I think that my only complaint would be that the course would be better suited for 2 days rather than 1 day. Otherwise, it was a very enjoyable and informative experience - even the hubby liked it!

Finally, I've got a bit of an update on the OB situation. Last Friday I went to see my family doctor (who is located downtown) re: my allergies. They've been getting progressively worse, including breathing through my mouth. I was worried about not being able to breathe at all one of these days, so I made an appointment for Friday afternoon.

The good news is that I'm not wheezing, so no inhaler is required. He said that an inhaler would probably not be the greatest idea since I'm pregnant. That being said, if you need one, you need one. I don't, at least not right now, and hopefully not for the next month. *knock on wood* He suggested Benadryl, but I want to avoid taking any medications if I can, so he said that if I wanted to go au naturel, that I could try getting a humidifier. We bought one on Friday, and I *think* that it has helped somewhat, but it's really hard to say. It rained today, so that helped with the stuffy nose, but I'm coughing like mad. I'm obviously living in the wrong country...

Anyway, after I talked to him about my allergies, I mentioned my OB problem. He seemed pretty confident that he would be able to get me someone at one of the downtown hospitals near me. His approach is vastly different from that of my current OB. All he did was send out a form to the hospital to ask who's available. My OB's office actually contacted specific doctors. Hopefully my family doctor's approach yields better results. He seemed quite confident about things, but honestly, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm clinging on to that wee little bit of hope. We'll see if anything comes of it. :) Keep your fingers crossed!!!

2 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

You could always wear one of those nifty white masks!

IndyComp0T1 said...

I am SO tempted to get one at this point in time!