Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 12

Apart from the ultrasound that I did last week, my 12th week of pregnancy was pretty uneventful, which is fine by me.

My first trimester was officially over on Thursday, and when I went to see my doctor that day, he said that I'm "in the game". That meant:

1. I could start telling friends and the rest of my family
2. I could start getting excited
3. I needed to start planning for the future!

The first order of business was to tell friends. I have to admit that I had a lot of fun with that. Apart from both sets of parents and my sis, nobody else really knew...or even suspected. So it was extra-fun to see the reactions on people's faces (or IM messages) when I told them. I think my most creative means of broadcast was in changing my Facebook status to "has a bun in the oven". It's kind of funny when I see myself writing that last sentence. I am amazed to think that when my parents were expecting, there was no Facebook or IM or e-mail.

Next, I can start getting excited. When I left the doctor's office on Thursday, I was given a stack of reading material and practice diapers. The newborn diapers are soooooooo teeny! I'm not quite sure what I'll use to practice putting them on though. Maybe my stuffed animals will volunteer for the task...

As for the planning part...in some ways it feels just like when I got engaged. Once the euphoria was over, the "oh my god, I have a wedding to plan" part kicked in. All of a sudden, wedding plans were in full gear, and for 6 months, that was the focus of my life. In some ways, the next 6 months are going to feel like that. I have a feeling that my life will start revolving around baby this and baby that. Trips to Pottery Barn Kids (to look, not too buy...too bloody expensive!), trips to Toys R Us (not that I ever needed an excuse to go there as an adult!), and trips to Baby Gap. What about daycare? What about baby names? What about pre-natal classes? The list just keeps growing and growing. Fortunately the hubby is super-supportive and understanding, so it will probably not be quite as daunting. At the same time, there is a long, bumpy ride ahead. Yee haw!

No comments: