Thursday, March 13, 2008

Drum Roll Please - And the Gender Is...

Today I went for my 19-week ultrasound (week 19 started today). As per usual, I was lectured for not drinking enough water. I just mumbled and said that I puked out my water this morning and that's why my bladder wasn't full. It was a partial truth, because, just as we were heading out the door this morning, I did get the urge to puke. Since my stomach was pretty much empty, however, there really wasn't much to hurl out.

At any rate, my lack of water consumption didn't stop the technician from seeing the baby properly, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. Well, okay - the technician DID say that drinking water allows her measure the distance from the cervix to the placenta. This logic still leaves me confused because she did a transvaginal ultrasound, and the whole purpose of doing that one was to make sure that everything was cool in cervix-land. But whatever. I have to come back in 2 weeks because she wasn't able to measure the spine properly. We could actually see it on the monitor, but I guess PK was lying with its front to us, so I'm guessing that it didn't yield the best results for measuring whatever it was she had to measure.

Other than those two little blips, the overall experience was pretty cool. First off, PK is quite bigger now, and it's moving A LOT! It was squirming so much that the technician had a hard time getting good still shots of the limbs. Although I couldn't see it myself, she was able to identify 5 fingers on each hand (not sure if she counted toes, but hopefully she did!) and nostrils! The heart was definitely more visible this time. The little gray blip that I saw in early December has sure come a long way! I think I could actually see chambers! The other cool thing (as I'd mentioned before) was the spine. You could totally make it out properly.

Of course, THE highlight of the whole thing is that the technician was able to tell me the sex of the baby. Mind you, as far as these things go, it's all based on whether or not you can see male bits 'n pieces, so there's always a chance of it being wrong. Still, I wanted to know! If I haven't already told you in person (or via my Facebook or MSN status), maybe the suspense is killing you. :P

Okay, so here goes...PK is a girl! That was a BIG shock to me, because I was CONVINCED that PK was a boy. Either one would've worked for me. Though I have to admit that girl baby clothes and furniture is waaaaaaaaaaay cuter than the boy stuff. That being said, boys have WAY cooler toys than girls do. Not that this gender stigma will prevent me from buying Transformers for PK. Tee hee... Of course, the only snag is that we had the perfect boy name picked out, but were a bit on the fence on the girl names. Time to re-evaluate. Those baby naming sites, while plentiful, sure are a lot to digest. I'll leave that discussion for another place and time.

3 comments:

Fawn said...

Hey congrats! How exciting! BTW, if you do a search on sex and ultrasound, you'll see that identifying isn't just about missing boy-parts. They look for a "hamburger" formation (the labia) in girls. Of course, that's assuming PK wasn't wiggling so much that the technician couldn't get a good look and just made an educated guess! ;)

Peter Lo said...

I think you should name her like Dot from the Animaniacs.

Princess Angelina Contessa Louisa Francesca Banana Fanna Bo Besca the Third.

Peter

IndyComp0T1 said...

Thanks Fawn. It's more comforting to know that they look for more than just the presence of the male appendages. Mind you, part of me still thinks that the technician was wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. I'd hate to have to exchange/return a bunch of pink stuff. :P