Saturday, March 8, 2008

Week 18

I finally have my weeks straight, so it's time to get back to reporting on PK's weekly progress. I've definitely noticed some more weight gain this week, especially on my abdomen. If it looked like I wasn't showing before, it's certainly more apparent now. Even with my Bella Band on, it won't be too long until I'll have to switch over to maternity pants. I can barely get any of my pants to zip up just a tad. Shirts are becoming a bit more difficult to wear as well. Some of my shirts have some give to them, which is good. That way I can avoid buying those pesky maternity clothes for a little while longer. Other shirts just annoy me. I can't wear many of my dress shirts. And those that I can wear barely fit me. I feel seriously constricted. In some cases, if I wear a sweater-vest over top, I can undo some of the buttons along the middle where it's tightest. One thing that has been nice is that for the time being, I haven't had to buy a maternity bra. I'm sure that'll change soon enough.

At this point I'm supposed to feel some sort of movement from PK. From what I've read/heard, it's initially supposed to feel like gas. As time goes on (probably at 20 or 21 weeks), I should be able to feel some more definitive movement. As some girls from my pre-natal classes have described it, the movement is both cool and creepy at the same time. I've definitely felt some rumblings of late, but I can't tell if it's just gas. It always feels like a bloody cauldron down there, bubbling away, so it's hard to tell what's what anymore.

I've also read that PK should be able to hear things somewhat. I often wonder what things must sound like from in there. Quite muddled, I'm sure! It must be quite shocking when I'm at band practice, playing my Eb clarinet. This term, I've got more Eb pieces (yay!), which means playing at an insanely high register. It's so loud that my ears are ringing at the end of our rehearsals. I can only imagine what it sounds like for PK.

I guess at this point I should be also talking to PK. The truth of the matter is, I just feel plain silly talking to my lower-abdomen - especially if I can't feel PK kicking at this point. The hubby is really getting into things though. He talks to PK every morning before heading off the work, and every evening when he gets back from work. It's actually really cute. Sometimes he'll have conversations with PK where it "answers" back in my husband's falsetto PK voice. It totally cracks me up. If PK ever reads this blog later on in life, he/she will think that mom and dad are freaks. Maybe we are, but that just makes life more interesting. :P

Next week, we find out PK's sex. Of course, part of me is wondering if we'll be told one sex, but then it turns out to be wrong. Imagine being told that PK is a girl, only to find out that it's a boy when PK is born. What to do with all of the pink clothes??? I think that sometimes (okay, most of the time) I get on the hubby's nerves because I'm just not a glass half-full kind of person. With me, it's always "what if..."

I guess it hasn't been a terribly eventful week, but things are certainly moving along. Stay tuned to find out PK's sex next Thursday!

2 comments:

Fawn said...

Wow, I had to switch to mat clothes by week 16, so you're doing great! (I'm very short-waisted, so Jade had nowhere to go but OUT!) I never had to buy a "maternity bra", although by the end of the second trimester I did find it more comfortable to wear one that didn't have underwire in it. If you can, get a certified bra fitter to help you if you're buying a new bra - it's so worth it.

I couldn't feel any movement (that is, I wasn't sure it was baby movement) until 22 weeks. It may partly be because I'm not super-thin, and also because Jade's placenta (or is it my placenta? not sure...) was on the "front wall" of my uterus, which is a bit unusual. It was very cool, though. It was weird thinking that there was a little alien creature in there that didn't respond to my brain, but I always loved the feeling, knowing she was doing well in there.

Don't worry about talking to PK - I don't think I ever did it. It's not like you can get right up close to your own abdomen. She hears you talking all the time, anyway, when you're interacting with others. She knows your voice. Sorry, I didn't mean to call the baby "she" - I guess I was thinking of my own daughter. :)

IndyComp0T1 said...

I probably should be wearing maternity clothes right now, but I'm being pretty defiant. I'm trying to see how much stretch my shirts REALLY have! Mind you, some shirts have been retired for the next few months. *snif*

I'm hoping to wear my regular bras for the entire pregnancy - I'm currently using the last notch! At the same time, they are fitting a bit more snugly, so who knows. I think my chest area sprouted forward some more this past week. Just when I thought it was done growing...