Thursday, June 19, 2008

Errr...???

A few weeks ago, we were at Shopper's to pick up some odds and ends. When we went to pay for our items, the lady at the check-out (who was Chinese) asked about my pregnancy:

Check-out Lady: So how far along are you?
Me: About 6 months.

Check-out Lady: That's so nice! Do you know if it's a boy or a girl?
Me: We're having a girl.

Check-out Lady: Oh, I guess you'll have to try again later then!
Me: [smile and nod]

I wasn't insulted because I know that it's a cultural thing, but it was still pretty surprising. You'd think that in this day and age, having a girl would be just as exciting for parents as having a boy. I guess every culture is different, isn't it?

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Wow, how archaic. You're right that it's cultural (and not just the Chinese who are male-centric) but there are exceptions in every culture, too, thank goodness. I have a friend who grew up in Shanghai, an only child. She says her mother only ever wanted a girl -- what a lucky girl she is!