Monday, June 30, 2008

Matleave Ponderings #3

I've finally gotten around to filling out the various matleave forms for work. It wasn't as painful as I thought it would be, though it was annoying to calculate the dates. Matleave seems to be split off into 2 - pregnancy leave, which is 17 weeks, and parental leave, which is 35 weeks. They add up to a grand total of 1 year.

I'm taking the full 17 weeks of pregnancy leave, and part of the 35 weeks of parental leave, which is why the calculations were so annoying. On top of that, I had to give estimates for:
- Last day to be worked (i.e. beginning of pregnancy leave)
- Last day to be paid
- First day of unpaid leave
- Start date of parental leave
- First day back at work (after parental leave)

I hate calendar calculations. Thanks goodness for MS Excel. :D

Although I technically have my mat-leave starting on August 1st, it's nothing more than an estimated date. In reality, I'll be working until the bitter end. I spoke with my manager and I *may* work a couple of days from home in the 2 weeks or so leading up to my due date, but I don't even know if I'll exercise that option. I think I'd be bored out of my mind working from home in an empty house. I'd rather be at work. Still, the option is there just in case.

I've also had to hash out the details of my part-time work arrangements. At first, I was thinking of working 1 day per week upon returning from maternity leave. After giving it some further thought, however, I decided to revise that plan, and have proposed working 2.5 days per week, or alternating working 2 days one week, and 3 days another week.

Why the change of plans, you ask? Well, let's be realistic. Working 1 day a week is not enough time to really get anything done at the office. On top of that, I don't think that my workplace would even be able to justify getting me a cubicle and computer, let alone approve such an arrangement. Besides, this way, I still get best of both worlds. Time spent with PK, and time to re-integrate into the workforce.

Of course, I have no idea what it'll REALLY be like once PK arrives, so for all I know, this plan may go to the dogs. Fortunately, work is pretty flexible about my changing my mind even while on mat-leave. I just hope that I can stick to the plan.

2 comments:

Fawn said...

Hey, I'm so glad it sounds like you've settled on a solution, and even better that it can be flexible. That's great! I never did return to work full-time -- I stayed at 4 days a week the whole time back because the 3-day weekends with Jade were just too good to give up. :)

Will your hubby take the remainder of the 35 weeks parental leave?

Trying to decide when to leave work is so hard. Last time, I felt so guilty for being pregnant when I started my job that I worked right up to Week 39. I finished work on Friday, water broke on Sunday, and Jade was born on Monday! I doubt I'll be that lucky with timing again!

I'm thinking of stopping at the end of October, but I worry about this baby coming late. I'd hate to have a whole month at home with no baby!! Although I'm sure I could get lots of cleaning and organizing done (because I still doubt it'll be done before...) it would also mean less time with the baby AFTER s/he's born before having to return to work. *sigh*

IndyComp0T1 said...

Unfortunately since the hubby works in consulting, if he takes the remaining 35 weeks off, he'd have no guarantee of finding a gig in-town when he gets back to work (might be sent out-of-town). So basically, no-go on him taking parental leave. It's too bad, because he would've loved to take some time off to spend with PK.

Working 4 days a week sounds pretty good. The 3-day long weekends are definitely a perk. :) Might be something for me to consider when the time comes to return to work full-time.

I know what you mean about taking off too early. I think I'd go stir-crazy in the house, ESPECIALLY if the kitchen isn't done. I don't want to know what smacking around during the day, as long as stuff gets automagically done by the time I get home!