Monday, June 9, 2008

Strange Dreams

I had the strangest, yet most comforting dream last night. I dreamt that I was in labor. I've had dreams like that before throughout this pregnancy, but this one was a bit different.

A few days ago, for example, I dreamt that I was in labor and that I wasn't at all prepared to go through with it. I kept fumbling through my HypnoBirthing exercises, and was distraught to realize that I'd forgotten my CD of birthing music. The dream ended before the baby was born, which is just as well, because that particular dream had left me a bit frazzled.

In last night's dream, I was in labor again. This time, however, I was applying the HypnoBirthing techniques, so the entire labor was easy and pain-free. The hospital staff were quite supportive about my decision to go the HypnoBirthing route, and let me do my thing. The baby came out in no time, but here's the kicker: when she came out, she was fully-clothed (yellow shirt and denim overalls) and looked like a 2-year-old, even though she was the size of a newborn. Her hair was brown and straight and short, and she had bangs. The other funny thing is that in my dream, she was born in June, which would make her 2 months pre-mature, but that didn't seem to bother me at all.

I'm not at all disturbed by this dream, in spite of the fact that PK was born pre-mature in it. Rather, I am filled with a calming feeling. Maybe it's because I've been really focusing on my HypnoBirthing relaxation techniques over the last few days, determined to show all those non-believers that it IS possible to have a relaxing, pain-reduced (if not pain-free) birth au naturel. These relaxation sessions have certainly changed my overall demeanor lately, and putting me in a surprisingly good mood. (The warmer weather and sunshine help too!) I'm just hoping this more relaxed, less apprehensive (I said less apprehensive, not un-apprehensive :P) of me continues to exist long after PK is born. :)

3 comments:

Fawn said...

That's a great dream! Hope you keep having ones like that -- it's almost like getting to practice for the real thing. :)

I had all sorts of strange dreams when I was pregnant with Jade. In one, we went for an ultrasound and I could tell that Jade was a girl because she was wearing a picot-edged dress... yes, in utero. Ha!

Katharine Graves said...

I loved your dream, because I know the difference hypnobirthing makes as I see it time and time again with the mothers I teach. I just wish every mother could do hypnobirthing. People think of hypnobirthing in terms of a calm and gentle birth for the mother, but it's important to remember that also means a calm and gentle birth for the baby.

Katharine Graves
Katharine Graves is a HypnoBirthing teacher holding childbirth courses in London

IndyComp0T1 said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one having dreams where the baby is wearing clothes when it shouldn't be. :P

And as for HypnotBirthing itself, I am really really hoping that it results in PK being a calm baby sans colic. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!