Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Sign of the Times

How's this for modernity: my friend's wife delivered a baby girl yesterday afternoon, and he sent out a text message to share the news. Ah, we sure have come a long way, haven't we? Back in the day, a phone call was the way to share the news. Convenient, but time-consuming nonetheless, since you can't really broadcast news live like this over the phone. I can only imagine what it was like before phones were invented. Did people just hop on their horses and tell their friends and neighbors? Did they send out letters to friends and family who lived far away? Most likely, I'm sure.

Anyway, I think broadcasting great news like this over text message is a great idea. Short, sweet, and to-the-point! :)

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

When I was born, my parents sent a telegram.

When Jade was born, we blogged about it from right inside the hospital room (and made some phone calls to family members).