Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stressed

Today is one of those days where I feel completely distraught, and I can't quite put my finger on it. There's nothing really wrong per se. Work is fine. PK is kicking away (either happily or grumpily). The weather is nice. I don't seem to be blowing up like a balloon. Nothing wrong, really.

But I feel distraught. I haven't slept well for the last couple of nights. On Sunday night, I woke up at 5am and spent the next 2 hours tossing and turning until my alarm went off. Last night I woke up distraught several times, and had a weird dream where I was being attacked by snakes. Besides that, it feels like every other day my calf muscles on both legs go into spasm in the wee hours of the morning, waking me up with a jolt and leaving me limping with tight muscles the next day. Can't figure out what that's all about.

So here I am, totally distraught, unable to concentrate on my work. After giving it a bit of thought, I think I've boiled down my distress to 4 major items.

Getting a Downtown OB
I've been seeing my regular OB/GYN for my pre-natal visits, which has been good because I really like him, but he's all the way out in north-east end of the city. I don't want to be driving at least 30 minutes come delivery time to a hospital way out there, when I could deliver at a hospital that is a 10-minute walk away from my house.

I've told him since the end of my 1st trimester to get me a referral to a downtown OB, and now, 22 weeks into the pregnancy, I still don't have a downtown OB. The one to which I was being referred isn't taking any new patients, and I'm on a waiting list for 8 others who haven't gotten back to his secretary to see if they can take me. Unfortunately my due date is on August 7th, 2008 - one day before 08.08.08. Toronto has a huge Chinese community and the number 8 is super-duper lucky in their culture. This means that many Chinese couples will be either having babies on that day, be it naturally or via C-section. Guess where that leaves me? F!ed.


Kitchen Renovations
We are currently renovating our kitchen. Well, sort of. We've put in our deposit, our design is finalized, and the materials have been ordered. Unfortunately, the work won't start until mid-May, AT BEST. That's because the cabinets won't arrive until then (if everything goes well) AND that's depending on whether or not their contractors are available to start on that date. So at this point, I'm not too optimistic that the work will be done before PK is born, and that stresses me out.

Maternity Leave Plans
That's still up in the air because I haven't heard back from my manager to see if I can swing some funky creative plan at work. Plus we're on the waiting lists for a few daycares, but a waiting list is a waiting list. What if by the time I'm back at work, we don't have a daycare to which we can send PK?

Parenting
The more I think about it, the more I wonder what kind of a parent I'll be. The hubby is great with kids, but me...well, I act like I've got a giant pole up my ass when it comes to kids. Plus, as I've seen with my own life, no matter how well you plan for your life and for your kids' lives, Life always throws you a curveball to interfere with your plans. What if I end up with a freaky Goth kid? What if my kid turns out to be uninterested in school? What if my kid succumbs to peer pressure (the bad stuff like drugs and gangs)? You can only do so much, but in the end, they're the ones making the decisions, and there's nothing you can do except give advice and see things unfold.

So yeah...I guess I know why I'm distraught. I wish I'd at least resolve one of these problems in the near future so I can cross it off the list of worries. Writing about it helps a bit though, so I guess it'll do for now.

3 comments:

Fawn said...

Hey Indy, no one's at their best when they're not rested. Seriously, those months when Jade wasn't sleeping and I was chronically tired, I felt like I had a completely different personality. And it doesn't take months of sleep-deprivation to make life seem pretty stressful. I'm not feeling 100% these days myself, so I hear you (though I would try not to worry too much about things that are so far down the road!)

I know the other comment I left on your blog today wasn't so supportive - guess I'm a bit ornery myself today. :P Perhaps I should just go home and go back to bed!

Meandering Michael said...

Seriously, lack of sleep makes Fawn a totally different person.

As for your kid being a freaky goth or using drugs, you don't have to worry about that until PK's AT LEAST five or six.

Unknown said...

Hey, I wouldn't worry too much about your due date being the day before 08.08.08...even if all these Chinese moms to be have a c-section scheduled for that day, if you go into natural labour you will take priority over the scheduled deliveries. And I'm sure you'll get the downtown OB soon.

I also had a bout of insomnia now and then during my pregnancy...wasn't sure if it was the needing to pee several times at night, or the anxiety of knowing a new baby is coming on the way, or the leg cramps, but many moms to be go thru it too. I have no idea why it is. They say that the leg cramps could be caused by a lack of calcium, so all i can suggest is to eat more dairy/take supplements, and stay away from high heels and standing for long periods of time!

As for not knowing what type of mom you'll be...don't worry, once PK comes out and you look into her eyes, it will just come to you. I too was really bad with kids/babies, I was always hesitant to hold them. But then Evelyn came, and let me tell you, the trial by fire/24hr-7day routine just kicks starts some maternal instinct. I'm sure you'll be great!

Hope you get out of your stressed funk soon.