Sunday, April 20, 2008

Week 23

As this week drew to a close, I began to come to grips with the fact that it is 90% likely that I will not be delivering PK at a downtown hospital as I'd originally wanted. It's a real shame, since there are 4 hospitals within 7 minutes from my house, plus another 2 that are still close enough. And there isn't a single OB affiliated with any of these hospitals who is willing to take me on for an August due date.

Last week I was so desperate that I called the Pre-natal and Labor Triage division of the hospital I'd gone to after my fall, to see if maybe the OB that saw me there could see me. HA! Instead, I was lectured on how you can't just call up a hospital for these sorts of things. That I need a referral from a doctor (been there, tried that), and that I should go to the Web site for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario to get this information. I really really wanted to yell at that rude bitch on the phone for being so snarky with me, but figured it wasn't worth my energy. I checked the Web site because I am desperate after all, but the Web site is not up-to-date, so the 3 hits that I got from my OB search turned out to be duds. I've also asked a few friends with downtown OBs for their OB names as well, just in case. I'm not too hopeful, but it's still worth a shot.

In any case, it is what it is. As the Rolling Stones say, "You can't always get what you want". I guess that's life for you. At least I have somewhere to deliver PK and at least I have an OB. And what's really important is for PK to come out healthy. Can't ask for more. :)

On another note, I've decided to get my butt in gear and sign us up for some pre-natal (non-exercise) classes. Next weekend we're taking "Journey into Parenthood", which is a day-long crash course on parenting. The week after, we're taking an infant first-aid class. And finally, in mid-May, I'm hoping to sign up for a Hypnobirthing class. It's a 5-week class, held once a week for 2.5 hours. I first heard about Hypnobirthing at my pre-natal exercise classes. It's supposed to be kind of like Lamaze in the sense that they teach you breathing techniques and all that. But from my understanding, it's more than just that. It's about being in a good state of mind (i.e. calm and in control) during labor. The idea being that if you're in this good, positive space during delivery, you can have a much more pleasant birthing experience. Plus I figure it's a good way to cleanse myself of my "glass half-empty" mentality. :P The end result is that you're in a better position to give labor without the dreaded epidural, which I want to avoid at all costs. It took a bit of work to convince the hubby to play along, but I think he realizes that pleasing a pregnant woman is far better than living with a crabby one. :P

3 comments:

Fawn said...

I'm sorry to hear about the hospital situation - I had no idea that could happen! I know that it's hard for people to find midwives in the Toronto area, but did realize that not finding an OB in the "right" location could mean ending up at a hospital far away from home. Crazy. I've heard it said that we have a maternity-care crisis in this country, but I never really knew what people were talking about. Good for you for looking on the bright side. :)

I'd never really heard much about hypnobirthing before - sounds very interesting! Have you heard of doulas? They're birthing attendants that basically "mother the mother" during labour; they don't deliver the baby, but take care of you. Might not be up your alley, but I mention it because the stats are impressive (in terms of the number of women who are able to have a med-free birth when assisted by a doula).

I got through mine med-free, which I was very happy about, but the thing is that it was so fast once they put the IV (I had to be "augmented") that even if I'd wanted drugs, there's no way I could've got them! I really wanted to do a drug-free birth, but I also didn't want to feel like a failur if I caved... I know my SIL says she loved her epidural - haha. Another friend who birthed with midwives for her second and third said that a bath was even better than the epidural she had for her first.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, sorry - this could be an hours-long topic of conversation for me!

IndyComp0T1 said...

Yes, the hospital thing is very annoying, to say the least. The one thing that really cheesed me off is that my OB knew at week 12 that I wanted to deliver downtown and was supposed to start making the proper arrangements at that time, but his office totally dropped the ball. But now there's no use in worrying about that, because it's not like I can do much more about this crappy situation. Might as well look on the bright side, eh? :)

Re: doulas, yes, I've heard of them, but not until I started taking my pre-natal exercise classes. Many of the instructors are actually doulas, and in fact, the Hypnobirthing classes are taught by doulas (at least here they seem to be). Hopefully I can get onto the May session for the Hypnobirthing class so I can share my experiences on this blog. :)

Unknown said...

I'm very intrigued about your experience with hypnobirthing - I can't wait to read about your experience! And yes, i'd have to agree with fawn about the doula if you're really insistent on not getting the epidural. I've talked to women who went through it and said that as supportive and wonderful as your hubby can be, sometimes they won't know what to say or do to help you out at the moment.

Anyway, I hope you don't think of it as a failure if you do end up with an epidural. At Women's College, the number was 91% of first-time moms ended up with one. But good for you for your intention to go natural...i wish you lots of luck with that!