Monday, February 11, 2008

Potty Mouth

So I've got a bit of a problem. I have a HUGE potty mouth. The funny thing is that in high school, I would not utter a single foul word - not even "crap". And now, anything goes. The S-word, the F-word, and other very colorful variations. I've tried to tone myself down over the years, coming up with colorful euphemisms to replace these filthy swears. For example, "poppycock" and "horse pucky" for the S-word, and "frickers" or "frack" (go Battlestar!) for the F-word. But now, more than ever, my potty mouth is ON FIRE. I can't stop myself, and I think I know why.

In my sub-conscious mind, I see pregnancy in some ways as the end of youthful and care-free behavior. No more deciding to go see a movie on a school night, or changing weekend plans on a whim just because. Parenthood looms, and with it, loom the R-word and the M-word - Responsibility and Maturity - two things that I lack at times. I guess that my swearing freely (way too freely) is a way of clinging on to that youth. Wouldn't Freud be pleased? Or really disturbed, perhaps?

At any rate, it has got to stop. I joke that PK's first word will be the S-word, but no parent ever wants to have that happen. So I guess it's time for me to grow up at least partway, and stop uttering such profanities.

No comments: